Mexborough and Swinton Times November 12, 1937
Curate’s New Post
Rev. A. E. Chatfield Leaving Darfield
The Rev. A. E. Chatfield, curate-in-charge of Darfield Parish Church and and Great Houghton Chapel-of-Ease has accepted the vicariate offered him by the trustees of St. Mary’s Church, Wakefield, in which parish the ancient Chantry stands. He will succeed the Rev. F. G. Hogarth, who has held the living for five years.
Appointed curate at Darfield and Houghton nearly two years ago, by Rev. H. Drown, in succession to the Rev. H. Sigel, Mr. Chatfield has endeared himself to parishioners in both districts. In addition to working very hard for his church in a difficult parish, he was assisted at Non-conformist meetings and has done much to establish a bond of unity between both denominations.
He has had an adventurous career, for at the outbreak of the Great War he was in Canada, and enlisted in the Canadian Field Ambulance Force, afterwards serving for four years in France. Later he joined the North Africa Mission, and did duty in Morroco for nine years. Returning to England in 1931, he was a few months later appointed curate at Preston (Lancs.) and from there came to the Darfield district. A native of Tonbridge. Kent, Mr. Chatfield received his theological training at Emmanuel College, Saskatchewan, Canada.
During his stay at Houghton he has introduced the Duplex Scheme of raising funds for the church with marked success. Recently he wrote a book of religious verse entitled “The Affairs of the Parish”. His sermons have always been very simple and sincere and have left a marked impression on his congregations.
When he leaves the district the best wishes of Darfield and Great Houghton residents will accompany him and his wife and daughter, in their new sphere.