Home People Accidents Darfield Child Fatally Scalded

Darfield Child Fatally Scalded

October 1909

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Wednesday 27 October 1909

Darfield Child Fatally Scalded

Mr. Kenyon Parker held an inquiry at Darfield yesterday into the death of Maria White, aged three and a half years, daughter of Mr. Philip White, butcher, Snape Hill.

The set-pot in the washhouse was being used by the father for boiling puddings.

The child went into the washhouse for the purpose of catching flies, and, climbing up on to the set-pot from a chair, she fell in.

The father, hearing screams, lifted her out and sent for the doctor.

Lockjaw set in, from which the child died. A verdict was returned accordingly.