South Yorkshire Times December 28, 1968
A Glimpse at The Files Reveals The Story Of 1968 In Retrospect
A review in brief of the items which made our headline news
As 1968 draws to its close, we glance back through the news columns of the “South Yorkshire Times” to note the items which made up the year for people in this industrial corner of the County, records of gay times and tragic events, of notable achievements and failures, which touched their lives or passed them by. Here we recall a cross section in miniature of the local story of the year.
Among, the, list of new West Riding Magistrates announced were Mrs. Joan Margaret Seels, Chapel Hill Farm, Clayton, Mr. Frank Evans, colliery deputy, of 8, Longdale Drive, South Elmsall, Coun. J. R. Bell, Helena Street, Mexborough, Mrs. Doris Cooper, wife of Coun. E. Cooper of Wath, and Coun. Douglas Thompson of Rig Drive. Swinton.
Linda Barrett, Mill View, Hemsworth, Hickleton Main Club, sprinter, was selected for England in the Home International Schools’ athletics meeting in Wales.
Through the efforts of Mrs. Tonia Freeman, of Swinton, who revisited her native Russia for a holiday and re-union with her family, arrangements were made for another Russian living and working in Swinton, Mr. John Maryniuk, to meet his family again after 26 years.
Peter Tupling (18), of Tankersley Park Club, became the youngest golfer to win the Yorkshire Amateur championship when he beat R. Hutton (Hornsea) in the final at Lindrick.
After 40 years of teaching,
Miss Ethel May Atkinson, of Campsall Field Road, Wath, retired as headmistress of Brampton Ellis Infants’ School.
Moorthorpe Empire, the last Cinema House operating at South Elmsall, was closed and it was announced that after redecoration it would be re-opened as a bingo house.
In reports presented to the County authority by the Planning Officer, Hoyland, Penistone, South Elmsall with South Kirkby were shown as among the five major growth areas for industrial development.
At Jubilee celebration at M. James’ Palace, of the Women’s Royal Air Force, Mrs. Christine Scott, of Church View, Swinton, a former sgt. and flight mechanic-fitter from 1941 to 1949, was presented to the Queen Mother. The Rev. Colin Neald, Vicar of Beighton for four years and for the past year an Independent member of Sheffield City Council, left for health reasons, to become Vicar of Laxton, near Newark.
When Mr. Herbert Wallis, of Charles Street, Swinton, retired as foreman after 45 years’ service with Mexborough Council’s Highways Department, he ended a family record of service with the authority extending over 143 years.
N.C.B.Chairman, Lord Robens, when visiting Barrow Colliery, said he was very worried by the speed of the rundown of manpower in the coal industry, amounting to 1,500 men a week.
Widow, Mrs. Martha Olive Page (91), of Selbourne Street, Darnall, one of the first scholars when the Huntsman’s Gardens School was opened, was the oldest guest at the school open day and it was her first visit since she left 80 years ago.
Dr. D. R. Thompson, of Oughtibridge House, Oughtibridge, accepted a post as a Government Medical Officer on Zambia to take effect in September, and his wife, County Coun. Mrs. Ruth Thompson, announced that she would join him later in the year
Taken from his home in Poland 24 years previously at the age of 17, Mr. Edmund Koga, who had latterly settled at Tinker Lane, Hoyland Common, returned home for a family re-union and was accompanied by his wife and three children
To mark his retirement after 20 years as headmaster at Darfield Foulstone Secondary School, and 42 years of teaching, Mr. George Stewardson received presentations from staff, students and parents,
Extensions costing £27,000 at The Hollies W.M Club Wath, were opened by Mr. R. Linstead, Secretary of the South Yorkshire Branch of the Club and Institute Union.
Seven original members of the 1939-45 war-time organisation of France Street Fire Watchers, Parkgate, attended a mevting to wind up their funds and rand over their balance of £35 to local charities.
It was announced that a merger of the West Riding and Borough Police Forces to become operative on October 1st would create a new West Yorkshire Police Force, 4,500 strong.
Bolsterstone Mate Voice Choir made their television debut by providing finale music as backing for the Oughtibridge soloist, Audrey Graham, at a ceremony of closing the Didsbury studios
A new £400,000 central distribution depot, brought into use at Chapeltown for Izal Limited of the Newton Chambers Group of Companies is situated only one mile from the new Tankersley section of the M.1 Motorway
A poem by Mrs June Shaw Marshall, of 35, Edward Street, Swinton, a shorthand typist at the Ministry of Social Security offices at Mexborough was included in a book entitled “Top Poets of 1968.”
Mr. Charles Curran, a former student of Wath Grammar School from 1932 to 1939, while living at Goldthorpe, recent Head of B.B.C. External Services, was appointed Director General of the B.B.C.
Sgt. Maurice Pearson (31) of Wolverley Road. Woodhouse, stationed at Plymouth with 42 Commando, received the awarded for his efficient work in looking after the welfare of 300 families in Singapore, especially while the unit was engaged on active service and exercises in Borneo and Aden
Over 300 people, aged from nine to 70 years, walked over a ten miles course to raise funds for the Hoyland Common Society for Mentally Handicapped Children.
Among other efforts members of Eccleslield Parish Church arranged a series of Autumn concerts to raise money towards £12,000 needed to restore the roof of the 12th century church
The Rev. G. F. Braithwaite, M.A.., Dip. Th., Vicar of Conisbrough since 1945 and previously Vicar of Wortley, was appointed Honorary Canon of Sheffield Cathedral.
Mr. and Mrs J. Gray, of Deightonby Street, Thurnscoe, flew to Pittsburgh, U.S.A., to see their only son, Dr. Malcolm Gray, and also visited in Ontario Mr Gray’s sister, Mrs. Annie Nicol, whom they had not seen for 37 years.
Richard Thompson, aged 17, was nominated Chairman of the Oughtibridge Pensioners’ Welfare Association in succession to his parents, Dr. and Mrs. D. R. Thompson, Chairman and Vice Chairman, respectively, who are leaving for Zambia.
Over 3,500 people attended Bolsterstone st. Mary’s Church Flower Festival and contributed £300 towards the final £5,000 installment needed for the church roof repair.
The Rev. David Watson, curate, conducted his last service at Rawmarsh Parish Church Harvest Evensong before leaving to take a post in Zululand.
The Rev. Graham Allred Tennant, Methodist Minister at Wath Trinity Church tor five years, died at his home, 25, Willow Road, Wath, on the day scheduled for his retirement after 42 years in the Methodist ministry.
Mexborough Urban Council appointed as Clerk in succession to Mr. F. Bailey Mr. Robert D. Davidson, who began in the accounts department in 1935, became Rating Valuation Officer and then Deputy Clerk in 1945.
The new £15,000 headquarters club for High Green and Mortomley British Legion Branch was opened to replace an old wooden building used since 1947.
Mr. Gilbert Slater Willis, Chairman and Managing Director of Tinsley Rolling Mills Company, was elected as the next Master Cutler.
A new County Branch. Library was opened at Stocksbridge by Mr. J. J Mendelson. M P for Penistone.
Elsecar Cricket Club, who won the South Riding League of the Yorkshire Council, completed the William Allen League and Cup double and won their section of the Sheffield League.
Swimming baths at Westfield Comprehensive School, Mosborough, were opened to the public for three evenings a week and on Saturdays and Sundays.
A resolution asking the County Council to allow school playing fields to be made available for organised games by the pubic was adopted at the annual conference of the West Riding Urban District Councils’ Association
A sponsored eight miles walk raised £100 for Penistone and District Amateur Operatic Society
Extensions costing £4,800 were opened at Shiregreen Community Centre.
The Spread Eagle football team, Penistone. who had completed 25 friendly games without defeat, have raised nearly £100 for various charities.
In the Yorkshire Council final, Wombwell Main (82), were beaten by six wickets by Harrogate on the Elsecar ground
The death occurred of Mr. S. C. Hacking. J.P., of Cemetery Road, Mexborough, Editor and Director of the “South Yorkshire Times” former Yorkshire tennis player and non-playing captain, and former Mexborough Town goalkeeper.